If you’re single and dating, you likely have tried some sort of dating service or app, and to be honest, I’m not sure which is worse. Developers of the dating app Clover have come up with a list of the top 30 meeting spots for first dates. This list is based off where Clover users meet for a date, not first dates in general.
So there is a little bit of a skewed problem with this study. To understand the Clover study, you have to know a little about Clover. It is a service similar to Tinder in which users can swipe right or swipe left after viewing pictures of other singles in their area. Clover tries to find compatible matches based on filters created within the app. At the end of the day, you’re still meeting a stranger in your area and heading somewhere — likely safe — to meet them.
The top 10 first date meeting spots on Clover are:
10. Applebee’s: Because everyone is near an Applebee’s, right? And nothing says safe like a two for $20 dinner menu.
9. In-N-Out Burger: Don’t knock it ’til you’ve tried it. And you won’t be trying it here. The nearest one to Stark County is in Texas.
8. Chili’s: When Applebee’s just isn’t enough.
7. Olive Garden: I can see this. Most people using this app are younger than 25 and have yet to experience real Italian food.
6. Buffalo Wild Wings: A fella can watch his fantasy team and his fantasy date at the same time?
5. Texas Roadhouse: Good choice. This says you’re willing to spend whatever it takes on a decent meal and have a good time. I’m betting this leads to more second dates than any of the aforementioned places.
4. Cheesecake Factory: This is another good choice, but I’d personally go with the Melting Pot.
3. Panera: Seriously? Women would meet a guy here for a first date. Sad.
2. Chipotle: I can’t explain this.
1. Starbucks: That’s right, a coffee joint? Some Starbucks serve alcohol, but this is likely an easy place because it’s safe, and there’s free wifi to find the next Clover date.
My wife and I met at TD’s Tailgate Grill in Canton. It was a chance meeting. She was meeting a group of friends and I was meeting a group of friends. It just happened that they were the same group of friends. Several of us continued to Picciano’s in downtown Canton before we finally got the nerve to talk to one another. And I have to give her credit. She has more nerve than did I. She wanted to know if I had plans the following night. So our first date was at Bud’s Corner on a nice summer night with a hip live band.
Where was your first date with your significant other? What is the best place in Stark County to meet on a first date?