Summer is the perfect time to take a road trip. Whether it’s a short trip or long trip, you better be prepared. Here are some things to do, pack and keep in mind while on the road.
• Emergency kit: Along with a first-aid kit, make sure to pack jumper cables, flashlights with batteries, road flares, blankets, bottled water and some food. Want to be extra prepared? Stash some hand sanitizer and wet wipes and some plastic bags for trash.
• Duffel bag luggage: Instead of bulky, hard suitcases, pack your gear in duffel bags so that packing is easier. Pack the stuff that you’ll need first on top of other items so you have easy access to it.
• Car charger: Make sure to bring your phone charger. You wouldn’t want to be stranded without a phone or GPS.
• Traffic apps: Keep up to date with real-time traffic updates from apps such as Waze, which gives you directions and reroutes you if there’s a delay. It also lets you know where the closest gas stations are. If you want to find the lowest gas prices, download the GasBuddy app.
• Maps: If you want to see specific landmarks on your trip, download the Roadtrippers app. It allows you to save all of the places you want to visit, and you can find new places along the way.
Before you hit the road, make sure your car is ready for the trip.
• Check the air pressure in your tires.
• Check your oil, coolant and wiper and brake fluids.
• Make sure you have a spare tire, jack and lug wrench.
• Make sure you have your license, registration and insurance.