Singer/songwriter, graphic designer, event producer, marketing and PR specialist, Ryan Michael Design, ryan Humbert Music
Q: What motivates or inspires you to better the community?
A: I grew up in Stark County and all over the general Akron/Canton area. … What it all boils down to is this: You want to see the people in your community—your neighbors and friends succeed in life and everything it has to offer.
Q: What is the best career advice you ever have been given?
A: I try to take a little something away from everyone I work with, musically or professionally.
Q: What advice would you give the younger generation when it comes to advancing in their careers or strengthening Stark County?
A: Hard work, being a good person and being selfless goes a long way. Say “thank you,” and don’t be afraid to ask questions or ask for help when you need it. Stand up for what you believe in, but be willing to hear the thoughts and ideas of others.
Q: What is your favorite thing about Stark County?
A: I love that there are so many different areas of Stark County that each provide something for everyone. … So many people are stepping up to the plate to help make this an even better place to live, work and play.
Q: List three to five things people might not know about you.
A: I was a black belt in karate when I was young. I honestly have forgotten all of it now. I have a large collection of comic books … I love classic cars. If I can ever afford one, I’ll get a ’57 Chevy and just drive it around.
“Ryan is one of those rare individuals who exhibits pride and professionalism in all that he does. …”
—Steven Meeks, president of Jackson Belden Chamber of Commerce
• Pittsburgh Art Institute
• Green High School
• Performed with Chrissie Hynde of the Pretenders, Train, Elvis Costello, Chris Isaak, Third Eye Blind, Matt Nathanson, Pete Yorn, Foreigner, The Zac Brown Band and more
• Performed at PlayhouseSquare, Blossom Music Center, House of Blues, Beachland Ballroom, Music Box Supper Club, Canton First Friday, Scene Pavilion at Nautica, Akron Civic Theatre, Canton Palace Theatre, The Kent Stage, The Tangier, Lock 3 Live and many more
• Sold out shows at the Akron Civic Theatre, Music Box Supper Club in Cleveland and Gervasi Vineyard Pavilion
• Released album Old Souls, New Shoes in 2009
• Plays on The Coffeehouse on Sirius XM and recorded a 5-song in-studio performance at Sirius XM studios in New York City
• Provides freelance graphic design services for area businesses
In the Community
• Volunteer at Second Chance for Animals, where he created a rebranding campaign and hosted a large benefit concert for Second Chance for Animals
• Contributed to fundraising events for Akron General Health System Muffins for Mammograms program, ArtsinStark, Project Rebuild, Summit County Metroparks and many more
• Involved in Vintage Canton, Blues Fest, Celebrity Cuisine, HOF Kickoff Celebration, Light Up Downtown, Taste of Canton and First Fridays
Has two dogs: Max and Olaf
Don Brighenti, Marci Sailing Lesho, Steven Meeks and Mike Nasvadi
Marci Saling Lesho (VP of marketing, the canton repository) says
“There is no doubt in my mind that Stark County is better off because Ryan Humbert lives here.”
Twenty under 40! recognizes young professionals across various sectors of the business, civic, government, arts, education and non-profit communities, including consideration in the following areas: Arts/Entertainment, Business, Community Services/Nonprofit, Corporate, Education, Financial Services, Government, Hospitality & Tourism, Legal Services, Manufacturing, Medical & Health Care Services, Other, PR/Advertising/Marketing, Real Estate, Retail, Social Service, Students (College), Technology
Nominees were selected based on career acumen, community service and trusteeship, and personal and professional achievements. The Twenty under 40! selection committee is comprised of diverse business and community leaders representing a range of industry sectors from around Stark County.