Jason Lantz, 38, Pastor, RiverTree Christian Church
What motivates or inspires you to better the community?
Jesus has changed my life. I believe He is already loving and serving people in our community. I simply get to join Him in what He does, and it motivates me every single day. Any good I do for others is just me getting to give away what Jesus has already given. It’s not my own. What has surprised me along the way is that while seeing progress in our community is great, getting to know Jesus as I join Him is even better.
What is the best career advice you’ve ever been given?
Leaders create culture. So if you don’t like the culture of the place you lead and you’ve been there longer than two years, look in the mirror.
What advice would you give the younger generation when it comes to advancing in their careers or strengthening Stark County?
Three things come to mind. Work really hard to know what it is like to be on the other side of you. The leaders of the future are the ones who are most self-aware.
There are generations ahead of us who have lived longer and know more—seek them out and in humility, listen to what they have to say.
Stick around. Stay in the church, job and neighborhood you are in longer than three years if you really want to make a difference.
“Jason Lantz is a passionate, energetic leader who cares deeply for his community and, through his deep concern for others, strives to help others find happiness and peace in their lives.”—Anonymous
• Bachelor’s degree, Intervention Specialist, Malone University
In the community
• Instrumental in supporting services for many nonprofits including Refuge of Hope, Love the Children Ministries, Habitat for Humanity, Men’s Challenge, Pregnancy Choices, and Caring and Serving Together (C.A.S.T.)
• Started Leaders Worth Following: a group of area leaders that meets monthly to hear from a community leader and inspire attendees to lead in their lives
• Connects community businesses, schools and local churches for the good of Stark County and Northeast Ohio
• Supports efforts in developing nations by raising funds through activities such as mountain climbing
• Visionary Leader for seven RiverTree campuses
• Started new church—now known as Love Canton
• Youth pastor with RiverTree following college graduation
• Suzi, wife; Caris, daughter; JJ, son