Courtney Johnson-Benson, 35, Assistant Director of Admissions, The University of Akron | President/Owner, CJB Group
What motivates or inspires you to better the community?
Working in education definitely inspires me to better my community. As a member of a helping profession, I am constantly reminded that one small action can cause a ripple effect of positive outcomes. I refer to this as the “ripple effect of awesomeness.”
What is the best career advice you’ve ever been given?
Be authentic, be invested, be a change agent. Become an asset to your professional community.
What advice would you give the younger generation when it comes to advancing in their careers or strengthening Stark County?
Telling your story can lead to great things and inspire others to do more both professionally and personally. Networking is the best way to connect with others, find common ground, an avenue to tell your “story,” and be presented with opportunities to advance your professional career.
List three to five things people might not know about you.
I am proficient in eleven different dance disciplines. I am an avid music fan, I have been to over 160 concerts and live shows. I also collect Hall and Oates on vinyl.
“Courtney has been a shining example of what hard work and determination can accomplish. She truly enjoys helping others be their best selves.”—Agatha Johnson
• Currently working toward a Certificate of Manual Communication in American Sign Language
• Bachelor’s degree in political science, minors in pre-law and dance; master’s degree in higher education administration, The University of Akron
• Assistantship with the Dean of the Educational Foundations and Leadership Department in the College of Education, The University of Akron
• Central Catholic High School, GlenOak High School
In the community
• Soroptimist International of Canton/Stark County member
• CORE Young Professionals of the Akron/Canton Regional Foodbank member
• United Way of Greater Stark County Young Leaders Society Steering Committee member
• Pro Football Hall of Fame Hotel Ambassadors Committee Co-Vice Chair
• Akron Urban League Young Professionals; Akron Hope; LeadAkron; Human Rights Campaign; American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals
• College Now Greater Cleveland professional mentor
• Started CJB Group, an educational and professional consulting firm
• Invited to present at The Ohio Association for College Admission Counseling Guiding the Way to Inclusion and Annual State Conference, Summer Institute Conference, and the College Board ACT State Conference
• Serves on The Ohio Association for College Admission Counseling Executive Board, Inclusion, Access, and Success Committee as Chair, Summer Institute Committee, and Guiding the Way to Inclusion Committee
• Volunteered for the National Association for College Admission Counseling National Conference representing Ohio and her home institution
• Toby Benson, husband; London B. Johnson, dog
• Agatha Johnson, Community Sanctions Officer, Canton