Length: 30 minutes (excluding warm-up and post stretches)
Equipment needed: Bench or chair
Warm-up exercises: 30 Jumping Jacks, 10 Butt Kicks, 10 Surfers, 10 Squats, 10 Arm Circles, 10 Reverse Lunges with a Twist
1. Single-Leg Squats: Standing on your right foot with your left foot lifted, bend your right knee and sit your hips back as you lower into a squat and touch both hands to the ground (or as close to the ground as you can). Push through the heel of your right foot and return to standing. Repeat 15 times on the right leg, then switch to your left leg for another 15 repetitions.
2. Quadraplex: Begin on your hands and knees. Keeping your head tucked, back flat and your abdominal muscles contracted, extend your right arm in front of you and your left leg behind you. Pause. Take your right hand and touch your left knee, then extend the same arm and leg again. Repeat 15 times, holding the last extension for 5 seconds. Switch to your left arm and right leg and repeat for another 15 reps, holding the last extension for 5 seconds. For more of a challenge, lift your foot off the ground so you are balancing only on your knee.
3. Single-Leg Bridge: Lie on your back with knees bent and feet on the ground. Pull your right knee to your chest. Squeeze your glutes and lift both hips slowly, taking 3 seconds to reach the top. Lower your hips. Repeat 10 times with your right knee pulled to your chest, then switch legs for another 10 reps.
4. Reverse Crunch and Lift: Lie on your back with your fingertips under the small of your back. While pressing your navel to your spine, lift your legs to the ceiling keeping a small bend in your knees. At the top of the lift, raise your hips and curl your lower back off the ground, pushing your toes toward the ceiling. Lower your hips slowly to the ground. Repeat 15 times.
5. Up-Down Plank: Begin in a pushup position. Lower your right elbow to the ground, then your left, so you are now in an elbow plank. Put your right hand on the ground and straight your elbow, then do the same with your left hand to return to a push-up position. Focus on keeping hips level and your abs contracted. Repeat as quick as you can with your right hand leading 10 times. Repeat another 10 times leading with your left hand.
Rest for 30 seconds and complete Circuit 1 for a second time.
Once you’ve completed Circuit 1 twice, continue to Circuit 2.
1. Split Squat Jumps: Start in a lunge stance with roughly six inches between your feet and your back heel lifted. Lower into the lunge until the back knee almost touches the ground. Press up through your back leg and jump while reversing your legs. Lower into the lunge with your back heel lifted. Repeat 12 times with your legs switching on each jump.
2. Dips: Sit on the edge of a chair or bench with your hands gripping the seat at your side. Walk your feet forward until you are no longer sitting in the chair but are being held up by your arms. Bend your elbows to lower yourself toward the ground. Press through your palms to straighten your elbows. Focus on keeping your ribs up. Repeat 15 times.
Rest for 30 seconds and complete Circuit 2 two more times with 30 seconds of rest in between sets.
Once you’ve completed Circuit 2 three times, continue to Circuit 3.
1. Mountain Climbers: Begin in a pushup position and bring your right knee toward your chest. Quickly switch legs, by straightening your right knee and bringing your left knee toward your chest. Continue to alternate legs as fast as possible for 20 total switches.
Rest for 10 seconds and complete Circuit 3 three more times with 10 seconds of rest in between sets.
Once you’ve completed Circuit 3 four times, continue to Circuit 4.
1. Russian Twist: Sit on the ground with your torso leaning back at a 45-degree angle. Bend your knees and pick up your feet so they are hovering over the floor. Your torso and thighs should be in a V-shape. Rotate your shoulders to the left until your left elbow touches the ground, then rotate your shoulders to the right until your right elbow touches the ground. Repeat 20 times.
2. Bicycle Crunch: Lie on the floor with your legs straight. Place your hands behind your head with your elbows wide. Bend your left knee toward your chest as you lift your chest and shoulders off the ground and contract your abdominals to bring your right elbow toward the inside of your left knee. Keeping your left leg lifted, straighten it as you bring your right knee to your chest and rotate your torso so your left elbow is touching the inside of your right knee. Continue alternating bending and straightening your left (like pedaling a bicycle) while simultaneously bring the opposite elbow to the knee. Repeat for 20 elbow touches.
3. Plank with Heel Lifts: Begin in a plank position with your elbows directly under your shoulders. Keeping your hips level, lift one foot a few inches, then lower it. Lift your other foot and lower it. Alternate the lifting and lowering of the feet for a total of 30 lifts.
Repeat Circuit 4 two more times with no rest in between sets.
(hold each for at least 40 seconds):
Lying Twist: Lie on your back and lean both knees to the left while reaching both of your arms to the right side of your body. Switch sides.
Knee-Bent Hamstring Reach: Sit with both legs straight and wide apart, bend your left knee and place the sole of your foot near your straightened right knee. Reach both hands toward your right toes. Switch sides.
Knee Pull: Lying on your back, pull one knee toward your chest leaving the other leg straight and on the ground. Switch legs.
Quad Pull: Lying on your right side, bend your left knee and pull your left foot back and toward your rear while keeping your hips aligned. Switch sides.
Kneeling Hip Flexor: Kneel with your right foot in front of you and both hands on the knee. Lean forward keeping your chest and shoulders tall. Feel the stretch in your left hip. Switch legs.
Doorway Pec Stretch: With your arm bent at 90 degrees, press your elbow against a door or wall above shoulder height. Reach your other arm away from you and toward your back, as you try to open the chest as much as possible.
Congratulations, you’re done!