GRILL UP A STORM AS THE WEATHER GETS WARM
If the idea of longer, warmer days has you reaching for the tongs, it’s time to get your grilling game on before the season is in full swing. Serving family and friends the most mouth-watering grilled entrees with ease requires a little know-how and a few crowd-pleasing recipes. For the best results on the grill, keep these tips in mind:
• A grill is not an oven, so don’t walk away from it when it’s on. Organize what you’ll need ahead of time; no running back and forth.
• Always scrape hot grill grates clean with a wire brush so food will release more easily. Before cooking, try using tongs to dip paper towels lightly into oil and swipe over the grates.
• If the meat or skin sticks, it’s not ready to be turned. Let it sit for another minute or two.
• Try chicken thighs, which have a deeper, richer flavor than breast meat.
• Pork tenderloin can withstand the dry heat of the grill and stay moist.
• Salmon, tuna and swordfish steaks grill well because they are thick and crumble less than other types of fish.
—MORE CONTENT NOW
Asian Apple Butter Grilling Sauce
• 1/2 cup Musselman’s Apple Butter
• 1/4 cup Musselman’s Apple Cider Vinegar
• 1/4 cup water
• 2 tablespoons honey
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 teaspoon ground ginger
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/8 teaspoon pepper
Mix all ingredients in medium bowl. Lightly brush or mop sauce over pork during entire grilling time, so sauce slowly cooks into pork.
GATHER THE GANG FOR AN NBA PLAYOFF PARTY
I can’t take complete credit for this, but hosting an outdoor NBA Playoff party is a great way to spend a summer night with friends, a fire and cold beverages.
The first thing you will have to do is find the NBA Playoff calendar and choose a Friday or Saturday night when the Cleveland Cavaliers are playing, preferably on a night when they are on the road.
So you’ve got your night picked. Now, you will want to borrow or buy a projector that you can hook up to your cable box. Look for the perfect side on the outside of your house to drape a white sheet or hang a projector screen. Don’t settle for the outside of your garage door. You will regret that in the morning when you see the trash and beverage cans in your front yard.
Find a place to start a fire, order up a chest of ice with your favorite beverages, and you will have your very own outdoor Cavs watch party and create an event your friends will not soon forget.
— TODD PORTER
WHEN LIFE HANDS YOU LEMONS
Help the kids start a lemonade stand! There’s no more tried-and-true way to have fun in the sun while encouraging your young entrepreneurs than slinging cupfuls of everyone’s favorite summer beverage. And don’t skimp by buying the powder mix—roll up your sleeves and squeeze the real deal. Want to set your stand apart from the competition? Pick up some colorful markers and plastic disposable cups and have the kids decorate each cup with their “logo” and other drawings, and garnish with a colorful paper straw.