Michael A. Wheeler, 33, Chief Legal Officer, Patriot Software Company
What motivates or inspires you to better the community?
Growing up, I spent a tremendous amount of time working overseas in third world countries with my family. As a teenager in Mozambique, I realized that being a U.S. citizen is an amazing gift and privilege. Wanting to proactively make an impact, I became a catalyst of change within my sphere of influence both locally and abroad. Today, my wife and I work to raise our sons to passionately help others, leaving the world better than we found it.
What is the best career advice you’ve ever been given?
My now 93-year old grandfather and World War II veteran, Henry C. Kappel, taught his children and grandchildren to “always put back more than you take, and success will follow you!” Words of wisdom to live by from the Greatest Generation.
What advice would you give the younger generation when it comes to advancing in their careers or strengthening Stark County?
Limit distractions. It’s easy to follow but hard to lead. So, proactively set small, achievable goals that not only get you out of your comfort zone but also propel you toward the type of life you want to live. Excellence requires you to be detail-oriented. Set yourself apart by taking time to inspect what you expect of yourself and those around you.
“Michael’s genuine personality and enthusiasm for life is apparent to all those who know him.”—Chad Isler
• Juris Doctor, University of Akron School of Law
• Bachelor’s degree in Political Science and Legal Studies, University of Mount Union
• Jackson High School
In the community
• Trustee on the YMCA of Central Stark County board of trustees; also serving on the Endowment Committee and served on the Finance and Property Committee
• Extensively volunteered across four continents, specifically working with churches, orphanages, victims of human trafficking and non-governmental organizations in Asia, Central America and throughout Africa with organizations such as: Frontline Ministries International; Mother Teresa Calcutta Center and the Sisters of Charity; and Iris Ministries International
• Has worked to secure land rights and negotiate with tribal and local governments to secure clean drinking water, medical services and free education
• Chief Legal Officer of Patriot Software Company; serves as president of the board of directors; handles all executive-level matters as Chief Compliance Officer, Investor Relations Officer; oversees Patriot’s legal, compliance, financial and human resources departments
• Leading a $40M Private Stock Offering for Patriot Software
• Has been with Patriot Software Company for over 10 years in roles such as General Counsel, Corporate Counsel and President and Corporate Acquisitions Director
• Jo, wife; David, Daniel and Caleb, sons
• Chad Isler, CPA, 415 Group